Anuradha Sawhney’s The Vegan Kitchen: Bollywood Style! is a collection of vegan recipes favoured by Bollywood stars. Anuradha Sawhney is an animal rights activist and has served as the editor of animal rights magazine Animal Times’ Indian edition. She has also headed the Indian operations of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Here she shares Rahul Khanna’s recipe for crispy, salted baby potatoes.
Recipe for 4 – 5 servings
500 g baby potatoes
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Soak the potatoes in a bowl of water for 30 minutes to loosen any dirt on the skin. Rinse and scrub them well with a brush so they become squeaky clean. Soak them again.
2. Put a non-stick or a ceramic pan that has a handle and a lid over high heat. When hot, add the oil and the wet potatoes. If a few drops of water go in with the potatoes, it is fine, do not drain or dry them.
3. Cover the pan immediately. After about 4 minutes, shake the pan vigorously so that the potatoes get dislodged. Leave the lid on. Reduce the heat to moderate and keep shaking the pan every 3 minutes.
4. After 12-15 minutes, open the lid carefully, making sure that no water that may have condensed on the lid falls back into the pan. Check if they are cooked. The skin should be crisp and the potatoes should be tender from inside. Pierce one with a skewer; it should feel soft all the way through. If not, cover the pan again and cook on low heat, till tender. Do not cover the pan once the potatoes are cooked, else they will lose their crispness.
5. If you are serving them immediately, add salt and pepper and serve in an open dish. If you are not serving them right away, leave them in the pan, without any seasoning, and cover with a light net cloth.
6. When ready to serve, reheat without covering, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Volume 2 Issue 10