Q & A – April 2016


Jayanti Ghose is a career and education consultant. She holds an honours degree in economics and a degree in education. Her research in career counselling spans more than 25 years. She is actively involved in personal and group counselling and introduced counselling in print media. Send in your queries to mail@youthincmag.com


What is the role of a museum or gallery cyrator? What courses would e relevant for this kind of work? – Ramaiya

A museum or gallery curator manages collections of artefacts or works of art. This includes dealing with the acquisition, care and display of items with the aim of informing and educating the public. It can be a varied job and can often include other activities, such as public relations, marketing, fundraising and education programmes. Post-graduation in History, Museum Studies, Heritage Management, Archaeology & Heritage Management/ Museology & Heritage Management would be useful. A college degree in history would be very useful for admission to such courses, but not always compulsory. Work opportunities are usually government and local authorities, but there are is scope for jobs with specialists and independent museums, and freelancing.

I am in final year BA (Hons) Interior Design. I want to pursue further studies in design but different areas like visual merchandising, etc., rather than interior design. Please suggest alternatives. – Rhea Panicker

Post graduate options for you include, MDes Industrial Design, Communication Design, Interaction Design, Animation at IDC, IIT Bombay; MDes in Design Space at NIFT; a wide range of postgraduate choices at Srishti Institute of Art, Design & Technology, Bangalore, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad (campuses at Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad and Bangalore), Pearl Academy, and School of Fashion & Design at G D Goenka University, Gurgaon. This is an indicative listing. Track the admission notifications for 2017-18 in the prominent dailies from August 2016 onwards for the widest range of institutions/ courses.


What is the training pathway to careers in dietetics and nutrition in the USA? – Farzana

A bachelor’s degree in dietetics, food and nutrition, food service systems management or a related area would be the starting point. Graduate degrees are also available. Academic and supervised practice would be part of the training. Licensure, certification or registration requirements vary by State. Visit the website of the American Dietetic Association to find out about academic programmes and other information about dietetics.

I’d like to know about conversion courses offered in the UK. What is the purpose and how does it work? – Amol Pande

Those who wish to change careers or continue further studies in a different subject area from their undergraduate degree would take a conversion course in the UK. Conversion courses are available in a range of subjects, including accountancy, business, engineering, human resources (HR), marketing, property and social work. Deciding which one to pick will depend on the type of course you wish to do at postgraduate level and the industry in which you wish to work. For example, students who have not studied a degree accredited by the British Psychology Society (BSP) would take up the Graduate Diploma in Psychology (GDP) for access to a professional psychology course. Students from all disciplines may take up Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) if they wish to become a teacher. Examples are indicative.


Volume 5 Issue 10


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here