Choose the option that is closest in meaning to the main word and complete the sentence.
1. Factotum (fak-toh-tuh-m)
The newly elected mayor hired a ____ to discharge a variety of jobs.
(a) tax planner (b) personal assistant (c) financial analyst
2. Gongoozle (gon-goo-zuh-l)
The tourists couldn’t help but ____ in wonder at the brightly illuminated Eiffel Tower.
(a) peep (b) analyse (c) stare
3. Boondoggle (boon-dog-uh-l)
When the construction of the skyscraper was stalled, many critics labelled the project a costly and ______ that was best abandoned.
(a) unnecessary activity (b) significant undertaking (c) accidental discovery
4. Squabash (skwo-bash)
Many environmentalists _____ the impact human activity has had on marine environment.
(a) praise (b) criticise (c) encourage
5. Pandiculate (pan-dik-yuh-ley-t)
After a good night’s rest, most of us _____ before getting out of bed.
(a) dream (b) complain (c) stretch
1. B, 2. C, 3. A, 4. B, 5. C
The clues will help you find the answers to complete the word pyramid. Each answer must contain the previous answer. You may arrange the words with a new letter.
Hint: Start from the top
1. Pronoun used to refer to yourself
2. Information Technology (abbreviation)
3. Attach or bind with a string or cord
4. Restrict the intake of food
5. Pronged (eg. three ____ fork)
6. To plan or have in mind
7. Dense tissue of the tooth under the enamel
8. Worked as an apprentice to gain practical experience
9. Boarded a train
10. Aroused or stimulated
11. Unintentional, unplanned, unwitting
IT, TIE, DIET, TINED, INTEND, DENTINE, INTERNED,ENTRAINED, INNERVATED,INADVERTENT
Volume 4 Issue 1