The Coronavirus now known as Covid-19 that originated in Wuhan China very recently has affected almost 2,700 people and has led to the death of about 80. The virus has spread in 10 other countries which include US, Japan, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, Tibet, among others. This has caused fear worldwide.
The new Covid-19, according to medical experts, is different from human coronavirus species which include the viruses that caused SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) and MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome). Coronavirus is a large family of viruses that infects both humans as well as animals. The common symptoms of Coronavirus are running nose, common cold, cough, sore throat, fever, and respiratory issues.
Though there is no definite cure, medication or vaccine developed for this virus, officials of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and other medical experts across the world have suggested a few ways in which the coronavirus can be prevented.
Given below are some helpful ways suggested by the UN’s WHO to keep Coronavirus at bay:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap (especially before and after eating). Make use of sanitizers when water is unavailable.
- Avoid close contact with people suffering from fever and cough
- If you catch a cold and cough and have difficulty in breathing, visit a doctor immediately and get yourself tested
- Do not travel to China
Other common ways to stay away from the infection/virus :
- Cover your nose and mouth while sneezing and coughing with a tissue/napkin
- Avoid going to crowded places
- Avoid eating junk and street food
- Wear a mask while travelling
- Heat food before eating and drink boiled water
Though these are only precautionary steps to protect yourself from coronavirus, they are undoubtedly helpful.