Enjoyed by the youth and daring adults of all age, adventure sports are popular throughout the world. Thrillseeking sports provide an adrenaline rush and enable people realise their physical and psychological strength.
Choose the option that is closest in meaning to the main word and complete the sentence
1. spine –tingling (spahyn – ting-guh l-ing)-
As the roller coaster reached the top, there was a momentary pause followed by _____ screams as it came down in a flash.
(a. painful b. ecstatic c. terrifying)
2. insuperable (in-soo-per-uh-buh l) –
Dario Cologna, winner of the 2014 Winter Olympics, skied briskly across the mountains in spite of _____ obstacles
(a. insurmountable b. innumerable c. inherent)
3. impetuosity (im-pech-oo-os-i-tee) –
Although Aiden opposed gambling, in presence of his friends, his ____would brook no control.
(a. recklessness b. generosity c. wariness)
4. venturous (ven-cher-uh s) –
The canyoneer rappelled down a 65-foot rock face and made a ___ plunge in the crystal-blue waters of an underground pool.
(a. enterprising b. vertical c. adventuresome)
5. cataracts (kat-uh-rakt-s)
The adventurers climbed aboard the canoe for a cruise along the winding river with blind curves and ___ with deadly drops.
(a. rapids b. waterfalls c. streams)
1. C, 2. A, 3. A, 4. C, 5. B
The clues will help you find the answers to complete the word pyramid. Each answer must contain the previous answer. You may arrange the words with a new letter. Hint: Start from the top
1. Nitrogen – in chemistry
2. A prefix indicating ‘not’
3. Brownish grey colour
4. A hill of wind-blown sand
5. To endow with a quality or trait
6. To sustain through hardships
7. A set of removable artificial teeth
8. Undertook a dangerous or risky task
9. An unusual, exciting , slightly hazardous activity
Volume 5 Issue 11