* Students at the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay have developed ORCA, India’s fastest racing car. Headed by Rushabh Kapasi, a 4th Year engineering student, team ORCA comprises of nearly 75 students from more than eight engineering streams.
* ORCA has a record breaking acceleration of 0-100 km/h in 3.47 seconds and is faster than sports cars made by Tesla, Porsche and Audi.
* ORCA will be participating in the Formula student (FS) UK competition in July which is Europe’s most established educational motorsport competition organized by Institution of Mechanical Engineers(IMechE).
* The IIT-B team have been participating since five years and are the only ones to have received the FS award for Design Improvement for three consecutive years. The IIT-B team have been winning the Formula Student Award by IMechE for being the best non-UK team for the past 2 years.
* Orca is the fifth electric car manufactured by IIT Bombay’s racing team and uses a battery pack of 95 cells, which will deliver continuous power of 80 kilowatt.
* “Not only is its acceleration a record, it is the first time we have a special steel-frame chassis with carbonfibre manufactured body, which not only reduces the weight but also stabilises the car at high speed”, said Rushabh Kapasi while speaking to the press.
Find out more here: www.iitbracing.org
Volume 6 Issue 1