Q & A – March 2016


Jayanti Ghose is a career and education consultant. She holds an honours degree in economics and a degree in education. Her research in career counselling spans more than 25 years. She is actively involved in personal and group counselling and introduced counselling in print media. Send in your queries to mail@youthincmag.com


What is the qualifying degree for launching a career in sports physiotherapy? Where are the employment prospects? – Jitendra K.

Sports Physiotherapists treat athletes with sports injuries. They identify the injury, devise a programme to improve the movement and function of the injured area and also advice on how to avoid injury. Follow up a bachelor’s degree in physiotherapy with a master’s degree in sports physiotherapy and get sports-related work experience alongside more experienced therapists to develop expertise and confidence to treat sports injuries. Work opportunities could be in private practice, in health and fitness clubs, leisure centres, sport associations, sports clubs or you could become self-employed and combine a sports team, with a more general physiotherapy position in a hospital or teach at a university.

What are the careers in fashion not involving design? I do not have aptitude for design, but am passionately interested in fashion. Which institutions in India offer post graduate level programmes? -Anupama Sehgal

Careers in fashion beyond designing can be varied, ranking from styling, fashion journalism/ public relations, retail, fashion merchandising to fashion forecasting. You could consider specialized training in fashion photography or garment technology or fashion management and entrepreneurship at the postgraduate level. NIFT (various centres), Pearl Academy of Fashion (Delhi NCR/Mumbai/Jaipur), FDDI School of Retail & Fashion Merchandise (FSRFM), Noida, School of Fashion & Design , G D Goenka University, Gurgaon, Institute of Apparel Management, Gurgaon, ISDI (Indian School of Design & Innovation), Mumbai are schools to consider.


I am interested in postgraduate studies in diabetology in the UK. Please suggest a few universities where postgraduate degree/diploma courses are offered. Prakash Nair

Cardiff University, University of Leicester, University of Glasgow, Warwick University, University of Chester, University of Birmingham and University of Salford, Manchester are among the universities offering postgraduate programmes in diabetology and allied fields in the UK (not an exhaustive listing). Relevant experience in diabetics following registration as a healthcare professional may be required for admission to some of the programmes, while in some admission to MSc may be via a postgraduate diploma course in diabetology.

I completed post graduation in food, nutrition and dietetics (MSc) in India and wish to be qualified to practice in the US. What should I do? Would a master’s degree in the US meet the requirements to become a registered dietitian? – Anindita

You could have your academic degree validated as equivalent to the bachelor’s or master’s degree awarded by a US regionally accredited college or university by a non-profit agency (e.g. IERF, WES, etc.) that performs this specialized service. If your master’s degree programme is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) then it would help you to chart out the path to becoming a registered dietitian. ACEND-accredited programmes with a list of advanced degree programs can be viewed on http://www.eatrightacend.org/


Volume 5 Issue 9


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here