CAT 2013 REGISTRATIONS OPEN WITH NEW ELECTRONIC VOUCHERS
* The registrations for the Common Admission Test (CAT) 2013 has started with the option of electronic vouchers this year, where one can purchase vouchers for their registrations.
* The registrations are open from 5 August to 26 September.
* The CAT examination will be held from 16 October to 11 November in 40 cities around the country, and will have only two sections: quantitative ability and data interpretation; and verbal ability and logical reasoning.
* The voucher costs Rs. 1,600 for general and Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates, and Rs. 800 for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and physically disabled candidates.
* More details at http://www.cat2013.iimidr.ac.in
* Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) will be launching its personalised website for students which will contain recorded lectures, answer keys and study material.
* The website will have recorded lectures for students from class 1 – 10, with 80 hours for class 9 and 40 hours per class for 6, 7 and 8, which will be the recordings of teachers who will summarise the complete course of a particular class and subject.
CBSE INTRODUCES NEW PASSING NORMS FOR STUDENTS OF CLASSES 9 AND 10
* CBSE released a circular stating that students of classes 9 and 10 will have to mandatorily attend the Summative Assessments (SA), which is held twice a year, and score a minimum of 25% in both SAs and 33% in all the 5 subjects henceforth.
* Students of classes 9 and 10 appear for four Formative Assessment (FA) and two SA exams, where the FAs are held by the school administration and the question papers for SAs are sent by the board.
* These rules will be effective for class 10 students from the academic year 2014-15 while the rules will be effective for class 9 students from 2013-14.
* Sophia College for Women’s annual fest Kaleidoscope is back with a bang this year. With the theme of Around the World, the fest is all set to dazzle everyone with fun, games and all new memories. The fest is slated for 3, 4, 5 and 6 September as the elimination days with 7 and 8 September as the final days. Dus Ka Tees or Electrocuted and Mr & Miss Kaleidoscope are few of the fest’s most famed events, with other notable events like travelogue writing and a pseudo road trip this year. The all-women work force have worked days and nights to push the event to a successful note.
BRITISH COUNCIL AWARDS IELTS SCHOLARSHIPS
* Eight Indian students have won the British Council’s IELTS scholarship award this year and will be receiving Rs. 3,00,000.
* Janvi Thaker from Kolkata, Avrina Jos Joslin Thambi from Viluppuram, Gurjot Singh Garcha from Ludhiana; Jahnavi Milind Mirashi from Pune, Sadia Zafar from Navi Mumbai, Shraddha Kaur from Gurgaon, Pramita Roy from Kolkata and Gowri Rastogi from Bangalore are the eight winners for the scholarship this year.
* IELTS is the International English Language Testing System, the world’s most popular English language proficiency test with two million tests taken in the last year.
* The entrance exam for the University of Pune’s newly introduced two-year MTech (Aviation) will be held on 15 September at six centres across the country and at Frankfurt in Germany.
* The exam will have a written test, following which the selected candidates will have a personal interview.
* Eligibility: Candidates who have completed Bachelor of Engineering or Technology (BE/BTech) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) with engineering and aviation specialisation.
* Application fee: Rs. 3,000 (open); Rs. 1,000 (reserved).
* Last date for form submission: 10 September (online); 12 September (physical submission of online filled form)
* More information at http://www.unipune.ac.in
Volume 3 Issue 3