APPLE’S iBOOK TEXTBOOKS TO BE MADE AVAILABLE IN INDIA
* Popular in the US and UK, iBook Textbooks are digital textbooks that cover the entire high school curriculum with interactive animations, rotating 3D diagrams, flickthrough photo galleries and tap-to-play videos.
* Apple is extending this service to 51 countries including India, Brazil, Italy and Japan.
* Concurrently, iTunes U, the app that offers free courses from universities around the world, is also being offered in 70 countries, including India.
* iBook Textbooks are accessible via an iPad, while iTunes U is accessible via an iPhone and iPod Touch as well.
CET RETURNS FOR MANAGEMENT ADMISSIONS IN MAHARASHTRA
* Because of the low response of applicants and overall drop in admissions to management programmes, the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE) has decided to reinstate the Common Entrance Test (CET) as the primary entrance examination for admission to management courses in Maharashtra.
* Admission to full-time two year postgraduate courses in MBA, MMS, PGDBM and PGDM for the academic term beginning 2014 will now be decided on test scores of the MAH-MBA/MMS-CET 2014.
* The candidate must have a bachelor degree from a recognised university with minimum 50% marks to be eligible.
* The online test will be on 15 and 16 March. Hall tickets will be issued on 4 March.
* Registration fee is Rs. 1000 for general candidates and Rs. 800 for SC/St and other backward classes. The last date for online registration is 16 February.
* For more details and to register online, visit http: //www.dtemaharashtra.gov.in/mtcet2013/StaticPages/frmApplyOnline.aspx
ENGINEERING COLLEGES NO LONGER ACCREDITED BY AICTE
* Degree-awarding technical institutes will no longer be affiliated or accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
* They will now fall under the authority of the University Grants Commission (UGC). State engineering colleges will be supervised by state universities.
* The universities will also assess parameters such as infrastructure, faculty strength, admission process, lab and library facilities, etc of the colleges seeking approval to run technical courses.
* Distance courses that award degrees are also now under the purview of UGC since the dissolution of the Distance Education Council.
* Students looking to do technical degrees or distance courses must now check for UGC accreditation.
INDIAN MARITIME UNIVERSITY OPENS AT KARAIKAL
* The seventh Indian Maritime University opened in January at Karaikal.
* 50% of the seats will be reserved for students from the Union Territories.
* Both short and long-term courses will be offered at the university.
* Karaikal has a 20 km coastline and is an apt location for fisheries, tourism and the industrial sector.
BRITISH COUNCIL SCOTLAND COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIPS FOR SUMMER SCHOOL IN EDINBURGH
* The internships will be offered to three bright and enthusiastic students interested in literature and creative writing.
* The internship will take place in July and August 2014, for which admissions begin from 21 March.
* The British Council will be offering two twoweek literature internships and one four-week creative writing internship.
* The scholarship will be inclusive of all fees including accommodation, meals, course programme and use of the Edinburgh University library.
Volume 3 Issue 8